I hear it from my clients all the time. They want to have an everyday makeup routine but…
- They feel like they don’t know how to do it.
- They don’t have enough time in the morning.
- They are scared they won’t look like themself.
- They peruse the makeup aisle and get so overwhelmed. Where do you even start and what do you buy?
They’re afraid they are going to get it all wrong so they don’t even start. I’m here to tell you that it can be easy, quick, and simple. Something you can add to your morning routine for 10 minutes and it will help you feel confident and great all day long!
The cosmetics industry is a $74 billion dollar industry.
There are millions of products online and thousands when you walk into a store like Sephora. Talk about overwhelm. I get it, I really do. I walk into Sephora and see all those products and could spend all day there now but as a professional makeup artist, I remember feeling overwhelmed in the beginning. Even with formal training, I didn’t know what to include in my makeup kit at first! I can imagine what women are feeling if makeup is not something you love and maybe even feel a little uncomfortable about, it’s sensory overload! Where do you begin? What do you need? How do you know which products to even look at?
So where do you start when you don’t wear makeup?
A great place to start is by accessing your personality and lifestyle. This can help determine which products you may like. Some questions I like to ask my clients are:
- What is your personality?
- Are you someone who likes bright colors or are you more subtle?
- What is your lifestyle?
- How do you like to dress? Casual, dressy, somewhere in between?
The answers to these questions can help determine where to begin with makeup. Now you know whether to stick with basics, add a little glam, or go bold with some color. Get my makeup checklist with product recommendations for each category so you don’t have to be overwhelmed scrolling Sephora for what you need!
Now that you know a little bit about your makeup style, you are ready to start!
You want to begin light and build. Start with creating a great base for your makeup by moisturizing, using a little foundation, put on concealer as needed, and set with powder. This will start you out with a fresh clean look!
Once you’ve conquered that, add some bronzer and blush to give yourself some color. Play around with how different shades and different places you put it can look.You can highlight the features you love and downplay the ones you don’t!
Next, it’s time to master eye makeup.
Have fun with your eye makeup! It is not permanent and remember you can wipe it off if you don’t like it. Try different eyeshadow shades, eyeliner and mascara. These eye basics can make your eyes pop and turn them into one of your favorite features!
Last, add some lipstick or lip gloss and you’re good to go.
Lips can be a great place to experiment with your personal style. Make sure you download my makeup checklist with product recommendations to find out which products match your style. If you love color, add some bright lipstick for fun. If you’re more into neutrals, choose a lip gloss with more shine than color. You can also change your lipstick to go from a day look to an evening look in a snap too!
My tried and true makeup staples!
If you are just starting and don’t know what to buy, here are some of my favorites that I always recommend:
- Moisturizer: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream is perfect for everyday use.
- Foundation: Make sure it is lightweight while still giving you some coverage and SPF 30 is a must! Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer is my favorite!
- Concealer: It’s important that it’s lightweight. A lot of color options is a bonus, especially since you can also use it to highlight. My recommendation is Nars Creamy Concealer.
- Powder: Look for one that sets makeup for up to 12 hours. Laura Mercier Translucent Powder is perfect!
- Bronzer: It should look super natural and my favorite that comes in so many beautiful colors is Bobbi Brown Bronzer.
- Blush: Look for pretty natural pink and peach matte tones, nothing too harsh. Bobbi Brown Blush is a winner!
- Eyeshadow palette: You want to look for one with great colors and is easy to use. Too Faced Natural Eyeshadow Palette is amazing!
- Eyeliner: My favorite that lasts and is easy to use is Clinique Quickliner For Eyes.
- Mascara: A great mascara doesn’t clump and is waterproof. It doesn’t hurt that my favorite is a very affordable option too – Loreal Voluminous Mascara!
- Lipstick – Fenty lip gloss is my go to! It doesn’t have as much color as lipstick but still gives you something. Perfect for everyday!
Now that you know what products will work for you, go give makeup a try and have fun! Remember, makeup is not a mask and it’s meant to enhance your features and highlight them. Start light and build till you get the look you want. It can be a great way to express your creative side! The more you practice the better you will get until it becomes as easy as riding a bike.
For an easy everyday makeup routine to follow, check out my blog – Simplify Your Everyday Makeup Routine!