I love the natural style and am a makeup minimalist. When it comes to my own makeup routine, I truly believe makeup should bring out who you are as a person and highlight your favorite features.
After my last blog, Makeup 101, you know there are no rules or creative mistakes when it comes to makeup. The freedom to express your creativity is the basis for great makeup! That said, there are a few things you may want to know when it comes to getting your own perfect look.
The Makeup “Do” List
- Take care of your skin! That means a nightly skincare routine (see my Instagram post for my personal routine) and use SPF every single day! Keep your skin prepped so your makeup application is easy.
- Use quality skincare products. This makes a huge difference in keeping your skin healthy. Some that I love are:
- Prep your under eye area before you apply concealer to prevent it from creasing and looking dry. Use a serum or eye cream and let it settle for a few minutes before applying concealer.
- Try something new and different. Don’t be afraid to switch it up and try a new color eyeshadow, blush, or lipstick. Changing your makeup once a season is a fun way to do it!
- Make sure you have great lighting. The only way to tell how makeup really looks on you is by testing it in natural lighting.
- Do invest in a good eyelash curler. Curling your eyelashes before adding mascara can make them pop! Apply two coats of mascara only and use the brush to break up clumps.
The Makeup “Don’t” List
- Apply foundation like a mask! Keep it light. This goes back to healthy skin. If you have beautiful skin it does not need to be covered by foundation. Use it sparingly where you don’t need much and use more product on areas you would like to cover such as brown spots or skin discoloration.
- Follow every trend. Just because it seems like everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean you should! Staying on trend is only good if it’s something that looks good on you. Not every trend is right for every person. Just think about the thick eyebrow trend. Remember that? I remember penciling my eyebrows darker than normal and my 10 year old son said, “Mom, what did you do? Please don’t ever do that again!” And he was right!
- Do makeup that is not you! Makeup should fit your lifestyle and not make you feel uncomfortable.
- Stay stuck. If you are still doing the same makeup routine you did in high school, it’s time to make a change and try something different. Our skin changes as we age and so should the skincare products and makeup that we use.
- Overload on makeup. Choose your best feature and highlight it. Make your eyes pop OR throw on a bold lip color. Generally don’t do both. Play up one feature and have fun with it while keeping the rest of your makeup neutral.
The Makeup Bottom Line
Makeup should make you feel beautiful, confident and put together so have fun with it! And don’t forget to take care of your skin. Your makeup can only look as good as what’s underneath it.
Have more makeup questions? Have an idea for my next blog? Tell me about it 📲 Email me!
Overwhelmed trying to shop for makeup? Get my free makeup checklist with product recommendations!